Mt. Koya or Koyasan, is the home of a Japanese sect of Buddhism called Shingon. The area was first settled in the year 819 by the monk Kukai and his followers, when he established the first temple there. Besides learning about the historical and religious significance of spots around Mt. Koya, like Okunoin - a vast atmospheric Buddhist graveyard that leads to the sacred mausoleum of Kukai (renamed Kobo Daishi in death), visitors to Mt. Koya can also enjoy the beautiful natural surroundings and fresh mountain air. Here, you will enjoy a lunch of authentic Buddhist vegetarian cuisine at Henjoko-in Temple, Eko-in Temple, or Tentoku-in Temple. This tour is un-guided.
|Departure||05 Jan - 20 Dec 2020|
9:00 a.m: Nankai Namba Station Before boarding the Nankai Line train, please go to the Nankai Information Center and pick up your tickets. Ticket pick up is available starting from the day before tour departure. Continue to the following via public transport.
Mt. Koya: You are free to see the sights on your own and are provided with discount coupons for various admission fees and a Koyasan bus pass. We recommend visiting Okunoin (mausoleum of Kukai) and Danjogaran, the heartland of Mt. Koya.
12:30 p.m Lunch: Enjoy Buddhist vegetarian cuisine at Henjoko-in Temple, Eko-in Temple, or Tentoku-in Temple.
Nankai Namba Station: Arrive back to Osaka via Nankai Railway. Tour will conclude upon arrival.
- Discount coupons for admission
- If the minimum number of participants (2) is not met by 4 days before the scheduled date, the tour on that date may be canceled.
- The voucher for ticket pick-up will be sent to your hotel for the night prior to the tour by at least one day before departure. When booking, please make sure to notify us of your accommodation's official name, address (entire address including postal number, prefecture, city/town/village, number, etc.), and phone number, as well as your expected arrival date (check-in date), and number or email you can be reached at in Japan. Please be aware that voucher delivery may not be possible if there are any errors in the information provided. Also, please note that service is not available at private residences, private lodgings (minpaku), other accommodations which do not have 24-hour front desk facilities, and townhouses. If the address for the tickets and final itinerary to be sent to changes after booking, please inform us at least 8 days prior to the tour departure date
- Please exchange the voucher sent to your accommodation for the ticket at the Nankai Information Center between 9:00 and 20:00. Ticket pick-up is available from the day before departure.
- Customers may board a train departing at their preferred time. However, additional fees will be required for limited express trains
- This is an open-itinerary plan with no accompanying National Government Licensed English Guide Interpreter or tour conductor.
- The location for lunch will be written on the itinerary sent to you by the day before the tour. The lunch venue will be one of the temple lodgings in Koyasan. The lunch location may not be specified. Thank you for your understanding.
- Buddhist vegetarian cuisine will be served, so we welcome vegetarian participants.
- The temperature at Mt. Koya (Koyasan) is about 8 degrees Celsius lower than in Kyoto and Osaka. Please bring warm attire.