Sumo is a contact sport. Sumo wrestlers weighing over 100kg (220 lb) practice with all their strength. You can watch their practice ring side, where the sumo wrestlers wear nothing but a loincloth around the ring. Practice starts from the lower ranked sumo wrestlers. All other wrestlers except the competing two, perform stretching exercises, basic sumo exercises - to strengthen: legs, hips, upper body - and muscle building exercise. A practice match is a serious bout between two sumo wrestlers. As if competing in a real tournament, wrestlers hit head to head, push each other, or throw the opponent out of the ring. The winner is qualified to stay in the ring and competes with a new opponent. Some wrestlers stay in the ring for a long time by beating many opponents. As the practice progresses a higher ranked wrestler comes into the ring and easily defeats the lower ranked winner. Thus showing that the sport of sumo is a world of true ability.
Consequently, a sumo practice watching tour is permitted only to those who realize and follow the sumo tradition and manners. Our guide will ask you to follow certain rules in watching the practice. We may sometimes have to ask certain people who don’t follow the rules to leave the tour.
Our officially certified guide will come to meet you at your hotel and give you basic guidance on how to properly watch sumo practice at a sumo stable. Many sumo stables are not taking foreign visitors now, but we will do our utmost effort to find such stables that permit watching a sumo practice.
|Time||7:45 - 10:45|
|Departure||06 - 27 Jan, 8 - 16 Feb, 5 - 27 Apr, 1 - 26 May, 7 - 15 Jun, 2 - 5, 19 - 24, 28 - 31 Aug, 1 - 22 Sep, 4 - 19 Oct, 6 - 21 Dec 2018
(except During Tournament & Special Training period)
Number of Person
|2 - 15 person|
7:45am Assemble at West Exit of Ryogoku Station. Pick-up service available from central Tokyo hotels. Continue to the following by public transportation.
Sumo Stable - The place where sumo wrestlers live and train. Learn how to properly watch a sumo practice at a sumo stable from your guide and enjoy seeing sumo wrestlers training for their matches.
10:45am Tour concludes upon arrival at nearby station. Please make your own way back to your hotel or other location.
- English-speaking guide
- Public transportation
- Consumption tax
* Pick-up service from Tokyo hotels available. Select a hotel that is located within 10 minutes walk from any station on the Yamanote line or within the Yamanote line circle. An additional fee may be charged if your hotel is located out of this range.
* Tour fee includes public transportation such as JR railway, subway and/or bus. For taxi or hired car, supplementary fees will be charged.
* Please keep in mind following precautions when you visit sumo training stables.
1: A sumo stable is not usually a facility for tourists. Sumo wrestlers are training very hard and seriously every day. So please make sure to show respect to the stable master and wrestlers.
2: Please watch the training quietly and do not move around in the stable.
3: Please stay quiet in the stable. Even your whispering voice may disturb the wrestlers.
4: Please don't stand on the ring or on the sandy ground. The ring is the sacred place for the wrestlers.
5: At the entrance of the stable, please take off your shoes and step onto the tatami floor (rush mat floor). Then sit on the floor (without a chair).
When you sit on the floor, please cross your legs and don't stretch your legs toward the ring. It is considered impolite to show the soles of feet to the wrestlers.
6: Inside the stable, please take off your hat and sunglasses.
7: Inside the stable, you are not supposed to eat, drink, or smoke. So please keep in mind "No food, no drinks and no chewing gum and candies."
8: You can take photos during the training, but you are not supposed to keep standing position or move around freely.
Please do not use flash unless it is absolutely necessary and do not use cameras with a loud motor and shutter sound.
9: Please turn off your mobile/cell phone.
10: Once you start watching the training, you are supposed to stay until the wrestlers finish their training. So please be sure not to leave the stable during the training.
* As a standard rule, children under 10 years old are not allowed to join this program, as many of them often cannot stay silent and keep sitting still.
* Please understand that you may be asked to sit on a floor without chairs at some stables.
* Please advise us if you have any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or the case where you would like to request a special care for participants, including children. Please note that any programs booked without an inquiry will not be guaranteed.