We have just returned from our visit to Japan.
Fri, 15 Mar 2013
We have just returned from our visit to Japan. We had a great time and are already planning our next visit! Many thanks for your help with organising our tour.
I thought you might appreciate some feedback:
- The day tour to Nikko from Tokyo is well worthwhile. Nikko is a fascinating place, and our tour guide as very good.
- The Japan Rail pass is really good value if you are planning to see some of the country (the rail system is just brilliant!), but it is worthwhile paying the extra to upgrade to a Green (First Class), particularly during busy periods, ie weekends.
- Takayama, including the train trip from Nagoya and our stay at the ryokan Hidatei Hanougi was a highlight of our trip. They really looked after us at the ryokan, and we would not hesitate to make a return visit to Takayama.
- Thë New Miyako hotel in Kanazawa, while in a good location next to the station, is anything but "new". It is looking very old and tired and in need of some refurbishment.
- Kenroku-En garden and Kanazawa castle are "must see" destinations in Kanazawa.
- I suggest you don't book people into "modest double" rooms at the Daiwa Roynet hotel in Kyoto. The rooms are extremely small. The bed is pushed hard up against one wall and there was not enough room for us and our baggage. We paid extra to upgrade ourselves to a "deluxe double" which provided far more room. Apart from the room size, the Daiwa Roynet is quite a nice hotel with friendly staff, handy to the station, and a nice breakfast buffet.
- Our tours in Kyoto and Nara were very good with great tour guides, but the night tour to Gion Corner was a highlight. It is well worth doing.
Our visit gave us a taste of Japan, and we would like to see a lot more. Hence our hope to visit again soon! Many thanks for your help.
O and S